Thursday, September 21, 2006

Housewife Hype

I made a great meal last night. It was fast, easy, inexpensive, packed with nutrition and delicious.

Tempeh Chilli
  1. 2 cans black beans
  2. 1 can stewed tomatoes
  3. 1 can tomato paste
  4. 2 large sweet potatoes
  5. 2 small red peppers
  6. 1 green pepper
  7. 1 cup corn
  8. 2 cooking onions
  9. 8 oz package of tempeh
Season with: chilli powder, cumin, s&p, garlic, cayene and a dash of brown sugar
Serve with: Pumpernickel bread

We had a great trip to the local farmer's market yesterday where I aquired all of my fresh ingredients at super seasonal prices. I figure the whole pot cost about $10 to prepare and yeilds 4 meals for 2 adults and a toddler. Violet thought it was... not the best dinner, but she is not one for complex flavors. More than one flavor + BBQ sauce is often too much for her 2 year old palate. My husband thought it was good and ate 2 bowls, but he previously lived a life avoiding all legumes. And most vegetables. I think I want to make it every week and use my extra time writing about what a wonderful meal planner I am and keep the saved grocery money to buy more shoes. Shoes, beautiful shoes.

3 Comments:

Blogger mamaloo said...

I make a similar recipe. Kieran just asked for it the other day so we ate it on Saturday and Sunday nights, and there are a couple of containers inthe freezer for future lunches.

I'm actually putting together a system for making meal planning, groceries and meal prep much easier. When I post it on my blog I'll let you know.

10:24 AM  
Blogger American wife said...

I just loaded our leftovers into the freezer. My husband confessed he ate burgers and fries for dinner last night while I was working, instead of my chilli. It will make a good Sunday afternoon lunch in October.

I wish Violet would ask for more bean based dishes like your little one, she only requests hummous.

1:19 PM  
Blogger karrie said...

I just recco'd this to a foodie friend. I made her pumpkin
chili tonight and it was fantastic. I think it would work well with tempeh too.

Little Foodies

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home